Telling you what’s happening at the River Campus is often an impossible task in two minutes, so we’ve called in an expert.
This week we chat with the director of the River Campus, Rhonda Weller-Stilson as another season gets underway about what she’d like you to know … what you can expect … and why it’s truly an environment like no other.
1. What’s the thing you are most looking forward to this season?
I think we have put together a fantastic season with lots of variety. So we've got everything from "Stomp," and "The Buddy Holly Story," we've got the St. Louis Symphony coming. And of course in theatre and dance they've got dance concerts and the big show "Mary Poppins" and of course they're starting off the season with an original musical written by both a faculty member and a student.
2. What is it about our students that should encourage the community to come view their talents?
Every one of our students in all four areas of the arts are extremely hard working and they're talented and I think when people come to see our galleries and our performances they are seeing future stars.
3. Why does the Holland School focus so much on free community events?
We see ourselves as a cultural arts center and our goal is to make arts accessible for everyone in the region.
4. What do you say to people who have never been to the River Campus?
Well, I always say, "Get down here, we're a hidden jewel!" And once people come they always say what took me so long and then they come back.
5. You’re obviously passionate about this place, but it goes beyond just “your job,” what makes it special?
The people. We've got great faculty, staff and incredible students. And then we get to present our work to terrific community members.
As always, more information and tickets are available at RiverCampus.org and I hope to see you soon at the Box Office!